Fall into Healthy Habits
November 01, 2018
We are well into the fall season, and for some, this could mean an end to the healthy habits that were formed this year. For that reason, The Florida Department of Health in Collier County (DOH-Collier) encourages you to “Fall into Healthy Habits”. There are many opportunities to regress into unhealthy behaviors as the year comes to an end and it is important to remain health conscious.
The fall season indicates change, so whether you are maintaining current health habits, or making new ones, fall into these healthy habits to create and sustain a healthy lifestyle:
- Get your flu shot. Everyone six months and older should get their flu vaccine. The flu vaccine is the best way to reduce the risk of becoming infected with the flu and prevent flu complications.
- Get the right amount of sleep. With competing priorities between work, school, or family commitments, it is easy to sacrifice sleep for keeping up with responsibilities. According to the CDC, you have an increased risk of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and poor mental health if you are not getting enough sleep. It is recommended that adults get seven or more hours of sleep per night.
- Be active. Physical activity is essential to sustaining a healthy lifestyle. Enjoy the beautiful fall weather Florida has to offer by taking more walks, bike rides, or participating in outdoor activities that include family and friends.
- Drink plenty of water. During the summer months, we may be more conscious of drinking enough water. However, just because the weather is becoming cooler does not mean we should decrease our water consumption. Drinking water keeps your body working properly, so do not forget to drink enough water during the day.
- Wash your hands. Clean hands are the most important step you can take to prevent illness and limit the spread of germs. Always use soap and water or alcohol based hand sanitizer if soap and water is unavailable.
- Eat healthy. As we are approaching the holiday season, it can be easy to get off track when it comes to eating healthy. Incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet and be mindful of portion size when indulging in desserts.