Return To School Safely
August 13, 2020
DOH-Collier reminds everyone to take steps to stay healthy during the new school year
Naples, Fla. — The Florida Department of Health in Collier County (DOH-Collier) reminds everyone as the new school year begins to take steps to stay healthy and protect each other from getting sick. Practice everyday preventive actions, limit interactions with other people, and stay informed on COVID-19 updates.
Back-to-School Planning: How to protect your family and friends
For many families, back-to-school planning will look different this year than it has in previous years. Your school will have new policies in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may also be starting the school year with at-home learning. Whatever the situation, these tips are intended to help parents, guardians, and caregivers plan and prepare for the upcoming school year.
- Children should be advised to do the following:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Make sure you are using a safe product. FDA provides a list of hand sanitizers consumers should not use. Adults should monitor children while they use hand sanitizer.
- Maintain social distancing, stay at least 6 feet apart from others, including students.
- Avoid sharing objects, including water bottles, devices, writing instruments, and books.
- Monitor how they feel and tell an adult if they are not feeling well.
- Wear a cloth face covering or mask.
- Develop daily routines before and after school—for example, things to pack for school in the morning (like hand sanitizer) and things to do when you return home (like washing hands immediately).
- Be familiar with your child’s school plan for how they will communicate with families when a positive case or exposure to someone with COVID-19 is identified and ensure student privacy is upheld.
Older adults and people with underlying medical conditions are at increased risk for serious illness from COVID-19. Taking preventative actions can help protect you and your loved ones from COVID-19.
For more information regarding COVID-19, visit floridahealthcovid19.gov/.
About the Florida Department of Health
The department, nationally accredited by the Public Health Accreditation Board, works to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.