Sleep Awareness Week
March 16, 2022
The week of March 13 – March 19 emphasizes the importance of sleep
Naples, Fla. – The week of March 13 - March 19 is Sleep Awareness Week. The Florida Department of Health in Collier County (DOH-Collier) reminds everyone about the importance of getting better sleep.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), A third of US adults report they usually get less than the recommended amount of sleep. Not getting enough sleep is linked with many chronic diseases and conditions. These chronic conditions and diseases include heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity, and depression.
Following good sleep habits can help you get a good night’s sleep. Some habits that can improve your sleep include:
- Be consistent with the time you wake up and go to bed.
- Keep the bedroom quiet, dark, and at a comfortable temperature.
- Remove electronic devices from the bedroom.
- Avoid large meals, caffeine, and alcohol before bedtime.
- Exercise! Being physically active during the day can help you fall asleep at night.
To learn more about sleep, visit https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/index.html
About the Florida Department of Health
The department, nationally accredited by the Public Health Accreditation Board, works to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.