3339 Tamiami Trail East
Bldg H Ste. 302
Naples, FL 34112
The objective of the biomedical waste program is to protect health care workers, environmental sanitation staff, waste haulers, and the community from the risks associated with potentially infectious medical sharps or saturated medical supplies. The Florida Department of Health has primary authority and responsibility for all facilities that generate, transport, store, or treat biomedical waste. The Florida Department of Environmental Protection has primary authority for biomedical waste incineration.
When biomedical waste is improperly managed, it places health care workers, sanitation workers, and the general public at risk for contracting dangerous diseases. Chapter 64E-16, Florida Administrative Code, requires facilities that either generate, transport or store biomedical waste ensure proper management of that waste. A model biomedical waste operating plan is available to assist facilities in documenting their procedures for management of biomedical waste. Many facilities have their biomedical waste removed by a registered biomedical waste transporter. Watch the "Management of Biomedical Waste in Florida" video on YouTube, or Vimeo.
Biomedical waste generated by individuals in their own homes from the use of syringes or diagnostic lancets also should be properly managed using the Collier County needle collection program.
Complaints concerning biomedical waste are investigated by The Florida Department of Health in Collier County. Small amounts of improperly disposed biomedical waste are cleaned up under Department of Health supervision and emergency situations are referred to the Department of Environmental Protection Bureau of Emergency Response at 850-245-2010.
To apply for the permit, complete and return the Application for Biomedical Waste Generator Permit/Exemption Florida Department of Health form DH4089 to The Florida Department of Health in Collier County along with the required $85.00 annual fee.
- Application for Biomedical Waste Generator Permit/Exemption (DH4089)
- Application for Biomedical Waste Transporter Registration (DH4106)
- Application for Biomedical Waste Storage Permit (DH4107)
- Application for Biomedical Waste Sharps Collection Program Permit (DH4108)
- Biomedical Waste Transporter Annual Report (DH 4109)
- Biomedical Waste Treatment Facility Annual Report (DH4110)
- Application for Biomedical Waste Treatment Permit (DH4111)
- Biomedical Waste Rules Chapter 64E-16, F.A.C.
- Biomedical Waste Receipt Log
- Biomedical Waste Transport Log
- Biomedical Waste Non Regular Pickup Log