Healthy Communities Coalition
Healthy Communities Coalition
Healthy Design in Community Planning Tool Kits
- 10 principles for building healthy places
- Better Cities
- Charting a New Course for FDOT Taking Multi Modal Planning to New Levels
- Complete Streets Policies
- Dangerous by Design
- Designing Traditional Neighborhoods
- Designing Walkable Communities Through Context Approach
- Flexibility in Highway Design
- Florida Pedestrian Bicycle Strategic Safety Plan
- Intersections Health and the Built Environment
- NACTO Urban streets design guide
- National Complete Streets
- Physical Activity Thru Shared Resources
- Planning for complete streets in Florida
- Plans Preparation Manual
- Regional North East Corridor Concept Report
- The Gordon River Greenway
- The River of Grass Greenway
- Traditional Neighborhood Design Chapter 19
The Healthy Communities Coalition is comprised of interested citizen, public and private organizations along with governmental agencies who believe in supporting and improving the health of their community. Increasing opportunities for active living and access to healthy foods are important components of health in the built environment. With 68% of Americans overweight or obese this is becoming the driving force for diabetes and other related chronic diseases even in children which are preventable. Consequently, unhealthy weight gain in the population is predominantly a result of consuming too many calories while involved in little or no physical activity.
Additional Information and Partnerships
- Everglades River of Grass Greenway Feasibility Study (YouTube video)
- Healthiest Weight Florida
- Smart Growth Coalition Brochure
- Urban Land Institute's Healthy Communities Initiative (YouTube Video)
Please note: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public record request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
Healthy Communities Program Consultant
E-Mail: Reginald Wilson
Monthly Meeting Schedule
Healthy Communities Coalition monthly meetings are on hold at this time.
Passport to Wellness is a four-week program to raise awareness about making healthy choices. The Passport to Wellness uses a self-tracking system of "95210". Start Passport to Wellness TODAY!
For more information, please access our Healthy Businesses Page.
Naples Pathway Coalition (NPC) partners with Healthy Communities to advocate for safe pathways connecting Collier County and beyond. The coalition works with local government and businesses to promote "Share the Road" thoroughfares and safety education. City of Naples and Collier County have given NPC proclamations supporting non-motorized activities as healthy lifestyles. For more information check out the site at: naplespathways.org
Designing Healthy Communities Series by Dr. Richard Jackson
The Collier County Health Department and Smart Growth Coalition do not promote or receive any profits from the Designing Healthy Communities books, DVD's or CD's written by Dr. Richard Jackson. The links provided are for instructional purposes only and are not intended as an endorsement of any products for sale on the website.
Dr. Richard Jackson explains the link between our health and the way our communities - especially our suburbs - are designed. Obesity, asthma, diabetes and heart disease are all aggravated by the auto-centric way we live our lives today. It's no secret that today's generations of children are likely to have shorter lives than their parents because of their unhealthy lifestyles. It doesn't have to be this way. Well-designed communities can improve both physical and mental health, as Dr. Jackson explains in this four-part public television series and the accompanying book Designing Healthy Living.